Thursday, April 12, 2012

the long-term nest.

So, for all of you that don't know...
B and I bought a condo!
In Brooklyn!

It's pretty hard to take a decent shot of the Brooklyn Bridge
through the windshield.

Crazy, right? I don't think that I envisioned us as homeowners here in the city, where our little three bedroom condo cost more than my parents [very big] house.

I truly have no understanding of how we did this, but I'm really happy that we did. It's a little slice of heaven.

BUT, it wasn't all sunshine and daisies at first. My first few weeks were hard. My commute was longer (about an hour now), meaning I got home later. The neighborhood was foreign, and I had a remarkable difficulty trying to figure out how to go to the grocery store. (There are 100 "groceries" but not a single one had things I needed, like Skippy peanut butter, cereal, and cheese packaged in a way that I understand!) I was used to at least 2 "regular" grocery stores within walking distance, and now, there's one - but it closes before I get home from work - and the rest are FOREVER away. It didn't help that B was happier than ever, because when I'm down and totally overwhelmed, the last thing I want to see is him floating on cloud nine over his 30 second commute! I was sad. I missed Manhattan, and I just wanted to go home to my 20 minute commute with no transfers, normal grocery stores, and accessible peanut butter.

Really, isn't that what we all want?

As with all things with me, I eventually got over myself, stopped feeling so much, and starting seeing the good things. I had a home, that was mine forever. I was paying rent to myself (and paying LESS than while renting) every month instead of flushing a couple thousand dollars down the drain never to be seen again. My critters don't have to answer to a landlord - who would let anyone have two dogs and two cats? - eventhough they're no trouble at all! - and my little family has a place to truly call home until it's time to do it all somewhere else.

Welcome home, G family...
Welcome home.

Over the next few posts, I'll show you all of the projects we're taking on to make this joint into a home.

Until then...


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...